This image, from a postcard posted in 1942, was probably taken from St George’s Hall plateau sometime in the 1930s and shows how one of Liverpool’s most famous streets has changed over the past ninety years or so.
On the right, all of the buildings up to the old Forum cinema have gone. On the left the same is true of the buildings up to the Crown public house, and from the Crown to the Vines public house.
Perhaps the biggest change is to the street scene. It is so busy, crowded with people, cars and especially trams – it was still the era of electric tramcars rumbling through cobbled streets.