Taken on 14th February 1908, this photograph shows part of Houghton Street at its junction with Clayton Square. Left to right is No.7, the Clayton Commercial Hotel and Tea Rooms; No. 8 with the display of bamboo furniture outside was the Clayton Brothers (tea merchants) Japanese Tea Rooms, reflecting the west’s fascination with all things oriental at that time; at far right is W H Miller & Co., tailors and naval and military outfitters.
Although Houghton Street and Clayton Square still exist, the whole area was totally transformed from the late 1960s onward. Where these properties once stood is now taken up with St John’s shopping centre and the former Owen Owen/Tesco store.